The following items are generally not reimbursable. Note: This list is not all-inclusive.
- Services, except for items noted in 07-004. (USNH employees should procure services and goods through purchasing methods approved and facilitated by Procurement).
- Alcoholic beverages
- Portion of per diem for conference meals paid as part of registration fee (see Procedure 07-007, Travel Meals). Any exception to this rule due to disability or medical condition(s) requires approval from the Campus ADA Compliance Officer, or equivalent. All other exceptions to this rule require campus CFO or designee approval.
- Movie rentals, theater tickets, newspapers, magazines, prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, etc.
- Insurance on rental automobiles for USNH employees (see Procedure 07-010 Vehicle Rental Expenses)
- Trip/Flight insurance. Any exception to this rule due to disability or medical condition(s) requires approval from the Campus ADA Compliance Officer or equivalent. All other non-disability/medical condition exceptions to this rule require campus CFO or designee approval. The cost of any insurance/protection is the responsibility of unit and must be funded within existing budget allocations. Additionally, the purchase of any insurance must be approved in advance by the employee’s supervisor/manager and/or the individual responsible for approving the travel request for USNH.
- Parking tickets and fines for traffic violations
- Personal expenses
- Personal portion of airfare while on USNH business
- Personal-use portion of a car rented for USNH business
- Repairs or towing of personal vehicles used for USNH business. These costs are included in the mileage reimbursement rate.
- Expenses incurred by spouses, partners and families or rate increases occasioned by presence of spouses, partners and families (see Procedure 08-007 Spousal Expenses)
- Laundry service for trips of five days or less
- Personal aircraft usage
- Extra baggage charges for personal items, such as golf clubs, skis, etc.
- Fees to check-in or board early, fees for preferred seating, fees for expedited security check, flight change fees and any other optional fees are generally not reimbursable. Exceptions to this rule due to disability or medical condition(s) require approval from the Campus ADA Compliance Officer, or equivalent. All other exceptions to this rule require campus CFO or designee approval.
- Childcare or pet care costs
- Loss or theft of cash advance money or airline tickets
- Locksmith charges
- Lost baggage, luggage, and briefcases
- Souvenirs and personal gifts
- Health club fees
- Tips on meal, bellhops and chambermaids if employee is reimbursed via Federal meals & incidental expense (M&IE) per diem rate.
- Security deposits for temporary lodging/housing in which an employee is staying while traveling on USNH business. (See Procedure 04-008 Cash Advances (for travel and other purposes) for options regarding security deposits.)
- Campus parking permits
- Gas for personal vehicles or personal recharging fees for electric vehicles (EV’s)
Please refer to Procedure 07-013 Misc. Reimbursable Travel Expenses for examples of items reimbursable, or refer to 07-013B Travel Policy Cheat Sheet.
The official version of this information will only be maintained in an on-line web format. Any and all printed copies of this material are dated as of the print date. Please make certain to review the material on-line prior to placing reliance on a dated printed version.