11 - 030 Disposal of Surplus Property


This policy explains the process involved in the disposal of USNH surplus supplies and equipment. Supplies and equipment acquired through USNH are the property of USNH or a state, federal or other sponsor.

1. Definition of Surplus Property: Surplus property is supplies or equipment which are obsolete, damaged and unusable or in excess of need. This includes all tangible assets with the exception of real property. (The sale or disposal of real property is addressed in BOT, Section VI.C.e, Policy on the Disposal of Real Property.)

2. Why is a Disposal of Surplus Property Policy Necessary? Internal controls are necessary to meet the fiduciary responsibilities of the USNH Trustees to protect and properly monitor USNH resources. This policy facilitates the physical removal of surplus property, finds an alternative internal use, reduces the storage burden and maximizes USNH's return on salable items. In addition, timely and proper recording of disposed property is important for maintaining an accurate financial system and safeguarding USNH assets.

3. Responsibility: Each Equipment Custodian/Manager (see Procedure 11-010, Section A.3.c.) is responsible for all property under his/her control. Campus purchasing offices are responsible for determining the appropriate disposition of all surplus property not covered under the Safe Electronic Equipment Disposal (SEED) program, and for authorizing and accomplishing such disposition. UNH Fixed Asset Management (for UNHD, UNHF, UNHL and UNHM) or USNH Property Control (for PSU, KSC and GSC) is responsible for properly recording disposal of surplus property listed within the USNH Equipment Inventory System including any proceeds received, if applicable. Transactional records should also be kept by UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus and the department. Equipment Custodians/Managers, with the assistance of campus Facilities if needed, are responsible for removal and transportation of surplus property.


1. Preference for Disposition of Surplus Property: When disposing of property, the following priority should be used to determine preferred recipients of surplus property:

a. other departments on campus,
b. other USNH campuses/departments,
c. State of New Hampshire,
d. other interested parties.

2. Internal Transfers: The transferring department must complete the USNH 11-010F - Equipment Location Form and submit the form to UNH Fixed Asset Management or USNH Property Control to ensure the asset location is updated in the inventory records.

3. Special Considerations for Equipment Sales (See Procedure 11-020, Acquisition of Equipment, for definition)

a. An Equipment Custodian/Manager may not unilaterally dispose of USNH or sponsor's property.
b. Government-owned Equipment - For tagged equipment, if the Equipment Custodian/Manager is unsure of the funding for a piece of surplus equipment, he/she should contact UNH Fixed Asset Management or USNH Property Control for determination. For disposal of equipment purchased with federal grant or contract funds, UNH Fixed Asset Management or USNH Property Control must obtain all necessary written approvals from the applicable sponsor and/or the federal cognizant agency prior to advertisement or disposal.
c. Other Equipment Items - If an Equipment Custodian/Manager is requesting an item(s) be scrapped, the Request to Scrap Form (http://www.unh.edu/purchasing/surplus/index.html) must be completed. UNH/USNH Purchasing will forward the request to UNH Fixed Asset Management or USNH Property Control for final approval if tagged/logged in inventory.
d. File Updates - UNH Fixed Asset Management, USNH Property Control and designated PSU, KSC and GSC personnel have update capability to the equipment inventory data in Banner Fixed Assets. This includes location, tag/barcode, serial number, Equipment Custodian/Manager, etc. Financial updates to Banner Fixed Assets, including cost, depreciation and related financial adjustments, are maintained by UNH Fixed Asset Management or USNH Property Control.

4. Proceeds from the Sale: Proceeds from external sales should be recorded in accordance with Procedure 10-001, Revenue Accounting, Section B.4, Sales of Departmental Equipment.

5. Sale to USNH Employees: All sales to employees must be approved by the applicable Campus Purchasing Office Surplus Administrator prior to sale, even in cases where estimated current market value is $0. The sale price of all property sold to employees should approximate current market value, and associated receipts should be recorded as revenue to the selling departments.

6. Campus Specific Procedures:

a. UNHD, UNHF, UNHL and UNHM: The Equipment Custodian/Manager is responsible for the following actions in this sequence:

i. Contact UNH Fixed Asset Management if the property was purchased using government funds.
ii. Notify UNH Fixed Asset Management in writing if the property being disposed is on the equipment inventory list. Items must be adequately identified; include tag/barcode number, description, etc.
iii. Determine the estimated current market value of the property.
iv. Determine if there are any hazardous substances/materials that may require special handling (e.g., refrigerants, chemicals, radioactive, etc.) For disposal of equipment that may contain hazardous materials, contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) at: http://www.unh.edu/research/environmental-health-and-safety.
v. For UNHD, UNHF, UNHL and UNHM, the IT Safe Electronic Equipment Disposal (SEED) staff members are responsible for determining the appropriate disposition of equipment containing data storage as well equipment containing circuit boards and for authorizing and accomplishing such disposition. They may delegate authority for disposition as size, condition, value, location, etc., of the item dictates. To request disposal of electronic equipment use the Safe Electronic Equipment Disposal Form found on the UNH IT website at: UNH SEED Program.
vi. For all other equipment, notify Surplus.Request@unh.edu to determine proper disposition or complete the appropriate on-line form on the UNH/USNH Purchasing website at: http://www.unh.edu/purchasing/surplus/index.html.
vii. The following thresholds should be used when determining the appropriate procedure for the actual disposal of surplus items:

1. Surplus item(s) that are obsolete or damaged, etc. do not have to be advertised if the property is to be scrapped.

a. After an Equipment Custodian/Manager has received permission to scrap/dispose of an item(s) via email from UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus, he/she may do so him/herself or call Maintenance Control (2-1437) directly for disposal arrangements.
b. If disposing of the item(s) him/herself, he/she must make sure the property being disposed of is placed directly inside a dumpster and not left laying or sitting beside one.
c. If an item to be disposed of is electronic or hazardous, SEED or OEHS staff, respectively, must approve all such scrap requests and notify Fixed Asset Management.

i. For electronic items, after approval by SEED, the Equipment Custodian/Manager should work directly with SEED staff for removal/disposal.
ii. For items containing hazardous substances/materials, the Equipment Custodian/Manager should work directly with OEHS staff for removal/disposal.

2. Surplus item(s) with an estimated current market value per unit of $1000 or greater, or vehicles of any type including boats, trailers, etc. (regardless of current market value) require UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus approval, and must be advertised for bid for up to 14 days by UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus. Items which receive bids at or above the advertised asking price, or items which are being requested by other UNH/USNH departments, maybe be sold/transferred sooner.

a. Departments may place ads at their own expense offering the item(s) for sale in local or regional newspapers or trade magazines.
b. At the end of the 14-day advertising period, if no UNH or USNH department has made an offer on the item(s), the goods can be:

i. Sold to the highest bidder or donated within the next category of preference under Section B.1. above, or
ii. Relisted for additional 14-day periods if desired.

c. If there are no bidders for the item(s), the department may send a Request to Scrap or a Request to Donate to UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus via the UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus website. Surplus items may be donated to a non-profit organization with UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus approval.
d. Removal of Surplus items - If there are no acceptable offers for a surplus item(s) and no identified non-profit organization is interested in the item as a donation; the Equipment Custodian/Manager should contact the UNH Maintenance Control Department for assistance with pickup if necessary.
e. Safe Electronic Equipment Disposal (SEED) Removal - If there are no acceptable offers for an electronic item(s), the Equipment Custodian/Manager should contact the SEED program for disposal instructions.
f. Environmental Health & Safety (OEHS) Removal - If there are no acceptable offers for a hazardous item(s), they will be removed by OEHS after approval by UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus.

b. Follow Plymouth State's policies and procedures at http://www.plymouth.edu/office/purchasing/surplus-procedures/.

c. KSC - Email KSC Purchasing with item(s) to be declared surplus. KSC Purchasing will promptly remove the surplus item from the department and handle the full disposition process from a central storage facility. If property being disposed is on the equipment inventory list, KSC Purchasing will notify USNH Property Control to remove the item(s) from the inventory. KSC Purchasing will update the equipment inventory records regularly.

d. GSC - When one of the regional offices determines that there is surplus property, they should notify the Dean's Office of Finance and Administration. The regional office completes the appropriate on-line form at the UNH/USNH website at http://www.unh.edu/purchasing/surplus/index.html. If the property being disposed is on the equipment inventory list, GSC must notify USNH Property Control to remove the item(s) from the inventory.

e. System Office - Each department is responsible for completing the appropriate on-line form at the UNH/USNH Purchasing/Surplus website at http://www.unh.edu/purchasing/surplus/index.html.

C. Contacts

USNH/UNH Purchasing Office 862-6187            USNH Procurement
UNH Fixed Asset Management            862-5041 propertyControl2@maple.unh.edu
USNH Property Control 862-3760 Accounting.Operations@usnh.edu
PSU Purchasing Office   PSU Purchasing Office
KSC Purchasing Office 358-2493 Purchasing@keene.edu
GSC Dean's Office 513-1335 Lisa Shawney

The official version of this information will only be maintained in an on-line web format. Any and all printed copies of this material are dated as of the print date. Please make certain to review the material on-line prior to placing reliance on a dated printed version. 

This page last updated Monday, March 23, 2020. For information on the adoption and effective dates of policies please see explanation on the OLPM Main Menu.