a. SUMMARY OF ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE
This document explains the requirement and process used in tagging/barcoding capital equipment. Timely identification and tagging/barcoding of all capital equipment is required upon receipt or in the case of fabricated equipment, upon completion. A unique campus barcode number is assigned and affixed to all capital equipment. Equipment which does not met the definition of equipment is not capitalized or barcoded (see Procedure 11-020 - Acquisition of Equipment, Section A.1).
1. Why is this process necessary? Barcoding of equipment is necessary for equipment identification, physical security, and maintenance of an accurate equipment inventory.
2. Responsibility: USNH Property Control Office is responsible for the barcoding of equipment.
b. DETAILED OPERATING PROCEDURE
1. Barcoding of Equipment: A unique property barcode tag, provided by USNH Property Control will be affixed to each piece of equipment within 3 months of acquisition. It is the responsibility of the Custodian/Equipment Manager to make the item available for barcoding.
2. Sponsor-Titled Equipment: In addition to the campus barcode, if title is held by a government sponsor, a "Property of US Government" or "Property of State/Local Government" tag/barcode will be affixed to the item. A separate tag/barcode will be created for individual items owned by other types of sponsors (industrial, foundations, etc.).
3. Off-Campus Equipment: USNH 11-023F: Off-Campus Location (OCL) Form is initiated by USNH Property Control when equipment is at an off campus location or when USNH Property Control is unable to physically barcode equipment (such as testing instruments which can only be tagged between tests). The OCL is sent to the custodian/equipment manager of the equipment along with the barcode to be attached to the item. The custodian/equipment manager has the responsibility to physically attach the property control tag to the equipment and to complete the OCL form, see Procedure 11-023P: Preparation of Off-Campus Location (OCL) Form for instructions. Please return the completed form to USNH Property Control in a timely manner.
4. Un-taggable Equipment: Some items of equipment, because of their size, location, or use, cannot be barcoded. USNH Property Control will add relevant location information in the Banner Fixed Assets Module to accommodate tracking these items.
The official version of this information will only be maintained in an on-line web format. Any and all printed copies of this material are dated as of the print date. Please make certain to review the material on-line prior to placing reliance on a dated printed version.