B. Alcohol Service for University Events/Activities

(Note: OLPM sections on this page may be cited following the format of, for example, "PSU.III.B.1". These policies may be amended at any time, do not constitute an employment contract, and are provided here only for ease of reference and without any warranty of accuracy. See OLPM Main Menu for details.)

1.   All New Hampshire laws relating to the service of alcoholic beverages must be adhered to at all times. All Town of Plymouth ordinances which pertain to alcoholic beverage service and "open container" of alcohol laws must be adhered to on university property.

2.   PSU students who are sponsoring an event on university property and desire to have alcoholic beverage services provided at the event must seek approval through the Director of the Hartman Union Building. Any other persons who are sponsoring an event and desire to have alcoholic beverage services provided at the event must seek approval through the Manager of Conferences and Special Events. Depending on the specific size, type, and location of the activity, it will be determined whether the food service catering license or a one-day permit to serve alcoholic beverages will be needed. No alcoholic beverages can be sold at any function that occurs on university property without the proper state license. Only authorized staff of the food service company or a department possessing a state-granted one-day permit will be allowed to serve alcoholic beverages.

2.1   Exceptions. The following will be exempted from the procedural provisions of this section and shall be approved on a case by case basis by the institution. Under no conditions will students participate in these events.

2.1.1   Official University events sponsored by the PSU Office of the President.

2.1.2   Events held at Frost Academic Commons utilizing the University's food service catering liquor license and served by such authorized staff.

2.1.3   Frost Academic Commons Board must notify the President and Provost for approval to sponsor faculty events that include alcoholic beverages. All such events must be in accordance with Frost Commons Board procedures.

3.   Non-alcoholic beverages and food must be provided at any event where alcoholic beverages are available.

4.   BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle) events are not permitted at Plymouth State University without the approval of the President.

5.   A person may be refused alcoholic beverage service if s/he is not in possession of a picture identification card with positive date of birth (driver's license, passport, or military identification card as per New Hampshire state law).

6.   See Residential Life policies pertaining to use and possession of alcoholic beverages in residential facilities.

7.   Alcoholic beverages should not be served or consumed in academic classrooms or in any offices on campus. Service of alcoholic beverages will only be approved for function or meeting rooms on campus. There may be special occasions when alcoholic beverage service will be allowed in campus dining facilities.

8.   Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in university vehicles.

9.   Due to New Hampshire state laws, liability issues and concern for the health and well being of individuals, alcoholic beverage servers will not serve anyone who is intoxicated.

This page last updated Monday, September 14, 2015. For information on the adoption and effective dates of policies please see explanation on the OLPM Main Menu.