Change in Status - Benefits

Have you recently had a change in status (married, divorced, widowed, birth/adoption)? 


Outside of USNH's Open Enrollment period, it is important to note that during the year you may make changes to your coverage ONLY if you experience a "qualified change in status." The following is an extended list of changes in status that may allow modification to medical/dental insurance plans, pre-tax premium payments and Flexible Spending Accounts:

  • Marital changes due to marriage*, divorce or death of spouse.  For any name changes as result, be sure to submit a Legal Name Change form.
  • Birth, adoption or placement pending adoption of a child*
  • Changes in employee or spouse employment (part-time to full-time or full-time to part-time)
  • Loss of spouse's/dependent's health benefits due to termination or discontinuation of spouse's/dependent's employer health benefits program
  • Termination or commencement of employment by the employee's spouse/dependent
  • Employee or dependent becomes eligible or ineligible for a government sponsored health program
  • Department of Social Services or Court ordered coverage of a dependent
  • Employee or spouse takes unpaid leave of absence. Return from leave of absence
  • Significant cost changes (premiums) or changes in spouse's/dependent's coverage (i.e. open enrollment)
  • In addition, change in child care providers, change in number of eligible dependents, and significant changes in provider fees are qualified changes in status allowing a modification to Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts. (Must be in $500 increments)

To record your qualified change in status, log onto MyBenefits.usnh, and click on the "Life Event” option from the left side menu.  Select the appropriate event and proceed through the entire program to the confirmation page.  Your changes will be pended and you will be required to submit proof of the event via your online account, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or birth certificate. If you do not make the changes within 30 days of your status change, you will have the opportunity to make changes during open enrollment, to be effective the first of the new year.